So February draws to a close. Where did it go? I had so many things I KNEW I could accomplish. Nothing like that pre-Christmas list of projects. Well, I guess I did finish some of those Christmas projects this month. And I bought the most fun fabric for my Tie One On apron. Um, yeah. That's not getting done unless Amy lets me submit it tomorrow.
But I did finish my Amy Butler In-Stitch Along project for February. The eye mask. There was no way I was tackling the bedside organizer. Besides, I like my bedside in a complete disorganized heap, thank you very much.
The fabric from this project was a small scrap of vintage 40's fabric from the lovely Estea. It was EXACTLY the right size for this project. And I loved it.
The whole drawing lines on muslin and quilting thing was a little intimidating for me, so I tried to go with the print of the fabric. I cracked up yesterday reading Finny's account of the quilting. I hand quilted the front with two layers of batting, some black quilters cotton between the layers of batting to cut the light, some embroidery floss and a few TV watching hours in the rocking chair. I even managed to go crazy with the french knots. In every little yellow square. Very relaxing. And an nice change from the redwork which is threatening to take over my house. (It's almost done, Kathryn! Maybe tomorrow. If I don't decide to whip up that Valentine Apron tonight!)
I lined it with pale yellow flannel left over from a baby blanket. At Rachael's suggestion, I used elastic instead of ribbon. I had exactly that length of elastic in my grandma's sewing box, so that's the piece I used. And the ric rak I had lying around. I just put the ric rak on the top because I thought it would tickle my nose and cheeks when wearing the mask. I thought it would be a cute addition. Now that it is on, it looks a bit Foghorn Leghorn to me in combination with the yellow, but there is no way I am ripping it out at this stage. And I wore it last night until Tim quit playing Suduko and it worked. Ah!