I'm a classic over-thinker. What could have been a 10 minute project took me three days, all because I kept thinking of alternatives. Not that over-thinking is necessarily bad, but sometimes often I can't get past the thinking and on to the doing.
Turning this outgrown t-shirt into a pillow should have been a no-brainer. Snip snip snip, sew sew sew, stuff and sew up the edge by hand. But then there was that little pocket. And I got to thinking, if a robot had a pocket, what would he keep in it?
So I got out some felt and did a little drawing, and then a little embroidery, and then attached some yarn and fused another piece of felt to the back. Voila. Tools. A robot screwdriver, wrench and blaster, although Eliot told me my blaster looked more like a hot glue gun. Pfft. Whatever.
And once I'd added on a bit, I felt like I should add some batting behind it and quilt around the seams. So there's another step.
It still needed a bit of something. So I took the yellow piping from the old pillow and wrapped it again with some dark grey fleece binding that I had on hand. How convenient that it was exactly the length that I needed.
And voila! Three days later, a pillow. With tools in the pocket,
and tools out of the pocket,
and with a robot at the ready to blast his way through trouble (or hot glue something, as the case may be).
Thanks, Erin, for the pillow week inspiration. Maybe I'll manage a few more in the week to come.